Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Connected Learners

I feel that I am fairly connected. I have many tools I need to learn (and teach) connectively: the internet, blogs, SmartBoard, a personal i-pod... but I know that I still have lots to learn! There were a few terms like "wiki" and "podcast" from the video that I am unfamiliar with. I am looking forward to utilizing the tools I have, and some I don't, to grow in my own learning and become more connected.

I am definitely a "both" when it comes to teaching and learning in the 21st Century. Regardless of what you already know, it seems like there is always something new and interesting out there. You have to be willing to look for it, learn about it, talk about it, and work with it so you can teach it. Then, do it again and add too or build upon what you already have in your 21st Century "toolbox".

I support my 21st Century students by teaching them how to use laptops and play math games on the internet. Both my students and I utilize my SmartBoard for most lessons. I definitely see their attention spans last longer when I use a discoveryeducation video to support the target we are learning. My hope is that I will be able to continue supporting my 21st Century students in new ways using the tools we currently have, and also introducing new 21st Century tools to them so they can get "connected"!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the both learner and teacher. I think that is what makes teachers good is if they are still willing to learn and try new things. It helps us stay fresh and engaging for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged about a lot of the same things you talked about. I also feel that it is important that we learn the technology and use it because if we don't apply our knowledge of the technology how are we supposed to use it in our classroom and also teach it to our students. I also am unfamiliar with the term "wiki" and only know a little bit about Podcasts. It can be very overwhelming at times learning all the new technology and knowing just around the corner there will be newer technology or a newer version you have to relearn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that first graders are learning how to use laptops! If we start by introducing students with the most current at a young age they will be able to keep up with the ever so evolving technologies available.

    ReplyDelete